It has been my distinct honor and pleasure to have worked with a variety of wonderful individuals, families and estates regarding the Sale or Purchase of a Historic, Waterfront or Equestrian property in the Commonwealth of Virginia from the greater Chesapeake Bay Region, to the Northern Neck, Central Virginia and Shenandoah Valley! Below is a sampling of those references. Contact information and additional information is available upon request.
- Colonial Farm Credit – Mechanicsville, Virginia – Ronnie Gill Chief Lending Officer and Paul Franklin – President and CEO I was asked to assit Colonial Farm Credit with the sale of a Bank Owned Historic Farm in Hanover County, Virginia at Ashland. There was not much information on the property which had been foreclosed upon. Through research I conducted in my own library using historic information / records, out of print books on historic icons throughout Virginia and through a set of initials engraved on an a late eighteenth century door knocker I was able to discover not only the correct name of the property but who its builders were. In short I was able to tell the story and assisted CFC in assessing the repairs required and what needed to be done to get the property market ready. By providing guidance, selection of contractors and service providers, etc. We were able to sell this extraordinary historic estate at a significant profit. There is nothing I like more than bringing previously obscure treasures lost to the ravages of time and neglect back in to the light. This property was purchased after receiving multiple offers in the first two days of the listing one year before the market frenzy began. It has since been fully restored with love.
- Dr. and Mrs. Joshua Herzog – Purchasers Freedom’s Light at Painters Point – Kilmarnock, Virginia – I met Joshua one night while working in my office via a text message about another property that I had listed. Although that property was not completely what they were looking for, he and his wife Carrie asked if I would represent them in their search for the perfect waterfront home. We took in every sort of water frontage as there are so many different types of waterfront, water depth, water views and fresh, brackish and salt water ways throughout Eastern Virginia. We searched everywhere throughout the Peninsula, Middle Peninsual, Northern Neck and up into Stafford, King George and beyond. They fell in love with Freedom’s Light which was perfect for their family in so many ways. It was great fun and an honor to spend time with them and successfully represent them in their purchase of this icon on Indian Creek on the Northumberland Side of Kilmarnock.
- Dr. Laura E. Regan and Dr. Ramy Y. Eid – Sellers of Wareham Farm – a Grand Jeffersonian Revival waterfront estate on the Ware River. Laura and Ramy had purchased Wareham at auction as it had fallen into a sad state. They had breathed new life into this extraordinary property where they spent long weekends and holidays with their children, extended family members and friends. Over the course of two years (prior to actually marketing the property) we identified items that would need to be addressed. They undertook all of these things and were able to net a considerable sum over their initial investment and later investment of repairs and upgrades. This is a truly breathtaking and captivating property. It was my honor to have developed a friendship with them and have been chosen to represent them in the sale of this much loved home.
- Woodland circa 1790 – Ms. Linda Ludeke Linda Purchased Woodland and undertook a monumental restoration with additions to the gardens and added amenities for what became a successful wedding and special event venue. I represented her in the offering and sale of this very special property, one of the most iconic and most well known federal style properties in Essex County, Virginia at Dunnsville. It is now used as a family home with a large barn currently being constructed by its new owners.
- Mr. and Mrs. Peter L. Trible – Little Greenway – Tappahannock, VA Pete and Libby are not only special friends but they are real estate clients. It was my pleasure to be asked by them to represent them in the sale of their lovely historic home in Tappahannock on Prince Street near Little Egypt. Libby was running for Commonwealth Attorney in Richmond County and had relocated to that area. It took a great deal of expertise and a can-do attitude to get to the closing table. Artful negotiation and patience enabled us to close this wonderful treasure of a property with so many special memories for them. The family that purchased the property is now making their own memories here.
- Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Kauffman – Pipe in Tree Farm – circa 1893 Sited high above the Piankatank river is Pipe-in-Tree . This fabulous late victorian era farmhouse had stunning architectural moldings and some art nouveau appointments that were absolutely glorious. The name came from the peace pipe which was embedded in an ancient oak tree at the waters edge which dates back to the early seventeenth century. We were able to successfully market and sell this property by the use of stunning imagery and telling the story of this remarkable property.
- Mr. J. Paul Welch II – Seller of the Old Downings Store circa 1832 Located at the crossroad of Hales Point Road and Farnham Creek Road is the ancestral home of J. Paul Welch. I was asked by Mr. Welch to represent him and his family in the offering and sale of his Father’s birthplace and the ancestral home of his family. It was an honor and a pleasure. A labor of love as properties like this are so unique and wonderful that their buyer is equally unique and appreciative of what made this special place and previous Hub of this community such a treasure.
Mrs. Elsbeth Wyatt – Seller of Woodlawn Sandy – Circa 1770 Essex County, Virginia. It was my pleasure to be chosen by the Wyatt’s to represent them in the offering and sale of their beautifully restored historic home. Prior to market I assisted them in identifying items that needed attention in order to present this serenely spectacular property to market. I represented Elsbeth and her daughter Elyse Wyatt in the sale of this lovely historic estate near Tappahannock, VA.
- Mrs. Cathy Fatigati – Seller of Panorama Montross, Virginia circa 1932 Years ago I met Kathy Fatigati at one of my listings, (Ben Lomond) which went under contract prior to her making an offer. She had purchased Panorama in the meantime. After fully restoring the property which was completed around 2018, she wanted to relocate to be closer to family in South Carolina. For several years she had utilized the services of others. We were re-connected through a mutual friend. She asked me if I would represent her. By utilizing copy that connects with buyers, stunning visual photography, video, 3D Matterport, Floorplans and more we were successful in the marketing and sale of this extraordinary property. We developed a wonderful friendship throughout the process. It was an honor to be of service and fulfilling to accomplish the sale over the asking price.
Mrs. Cora Sue Spruill – Enfield – Circa1938 Tappahannock, Virginia It was such an honor to be choses by Cora Sue to represent her in the offering of Enfield circa 1938 on Tappahannock’s Gold Coast. Working with her was absolutely delightful. It was such an honor to work with her to sell the beloved home she shared with her husband, Judge Joseph Spruill (deceased) and where they raised their sons.
- Mr. and Mrs. Craig Shirley – Ben Lomond Circa 1730 (Purchasers) Craig and Zorine Shirley Purchased Ben Lomond, circa 1730 at Dunnsville. Virginia. I represented the seller but have continued as an advisor on various real estate activities. Craig Shirley is a renowned Presidential Historian, Contributor and Commentator on various news networks, public relations expert and a New York Times Best Selling Author. Zorine is an accomplished editor, wife, mother and all-around amazing woman. They have become a very important part of the Essex County Community as well.
Mrs. Susan H. Stohrer – Executor Mrs. Stohrer lives in Georgia. She was the executor of the Estate of her late Uncle. House on 1.96 acres located at 2803 Simonson Road, Farnham, VA was a stunning waterfront property fronting on Lancaster Creek at the Confluence of Morattico Creek, Lancaster Creek and the Rappahannock River.
- Mr. and Mrs. Norman Malo – Carousel Circa 1938 (Sellers)
Sellers of Carousel Circa 1938, which is a grand waterfront estate on the Piankatank River which features gardens by Charles Gillette. The Malo’s now reside in South Carolina, on Lake Keowee and near Jupiter Florida. He is the former CEO of National Financial Services, the third largest transaction clearing house in the world at the time.
- Mr. and Mrs. James C. Scarborough– Ben Lomond (Sellers)
Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough were the sellers of Ben Lomond, circa 1730 at Dunnsville. He is Chairman of the Board of Stage Stores International, which is the parent company of Peebles Department Store, Goody’s, Beall’s, Palais Royal and others. They now reside in Charleston, SC and Wolfboro, NH.
- Scott and Mary Gibbs – Oklahoma City and Mathews, Virginia (Purchasers)
I represented the Gibbs in their purchase of Belmont, A Historic Waterfront Estate on Blackwater Creek, in Mathews County, Virginia where they plan to retire. Background in Oil.
- Mr. and Mrs. Rob Koggan – Purchasers of DeForest – Marshall, Virginia
I represented this couple in their search for an Estate that met their needs, as a seasonal residence near The Plains. I met them first at one of my listings, which was not quite right for them. Through building a relationship, I was able to ascertain their needs and desires, helping to facilitate their dream home in Virginia near the Plains.
Notes of Recommendation:
“Karin Andrews is unlike any realtor we’ve ever worked with before. What started out as a professional relationship quickly became a warm friendship. A kind and thoughtful woman, she is a person of remarkable talents who enthralled us with her working knowledge of Ben Lomond and all of Essex County. She is, in the words of the Old South, a truly Great Lady.”
Craig and Zorine Shirley
Ben Lomond Essex County, Virginia (Purchasers of Ben Lomond circa 1730) Craig Shirley is a Presidential Historian and New York Times Best Selling Author. Ben Lomond was the site of the 2018 Preakness Party – Fundraiser for Rappahannock Community College. Zorine is an accomplished Editor.
In my mind I hoped to sit down and write this thank you to in my own handwriting and send it through the snail mail, but I also know from the past that my best intentions sometimes end up getting in the way of a proper and timely thank you. I wanted to send you a quick note to give you my sincere thanks for all the many things you did to help sell my uncle’s home in such a timely manner. As you know, there were months before we met that I agonized over how the home would ever be ready to sell, let alone close. Meeting you was an answer to prayer and from our first meeting in December you put my heart at ease. Being out of state, I so appreciated you calling me to give your first impressions of the house as you walked through. It showed me that you were a team player and would keep me updated and informed if we worked together. You understood my needs (moving quickly for the estate, and the intricacies that come with navigating family dynamics as a beloved home is sold) but also gave me the assurance that you were doing your best to get the top dollar. From our first phone calls I could tell that your professionalism was exemplary. To sum it all up, after I signed with you, I always felt like I had someone in my corner, who appreciated what the house had to offer and was willing to work to find someone who could love it too. You looked out for me and helped me through a process that had been so ambiguous and stressful.
Thank you for going above and beyond in your work, but for also showing such care in the process! If any portion of this letter could be used to help in your advertising or to help someone else considering you for a realtor, please feel free to share it with them. I would certainly give you my highest recommendation!
I wish you all the best!”
Susan Stohrer, Executor -The Estate of Daniel J. Dotson – Simonson, (Farnham) Virginia
“It is with pleasure I share with you my thoughts and experiences with Karin Andrews, an extraordinary person with many talents. I first hired Karin as an artist for a project in our home in 2000. Thru the years we have collaborated on everything from floral arrangements, to magazine articles, Garden Club events, digital pictorials, and kids playing by the pool. AND of course, she has been our realtor as she began in that profession and beyond. Her knowledge of our property was amazing including its history. Her capability to put the property in pictures with music and beautifully written descriptions is incredible! I have seen many variations of others similar works but none that captures the soul like hers. We, and our families, have become long-lasting friends.”
Friend and Real Estate client (Sellers) – Carousel 8495 Freewelcome Ln Dutton, VA
“We selected Karin Andrews to be our realtor for a historical family home after a significantly long search for the “right person”. She brought to the endeavor spectacular photography, hard to beat print materials, efficiency, and thoughtful vetting of potential showings. Her network skills are immense, and her utilization of marketing skills are prolific. She is passionate about her work, she is highly professional, and quickly sizes up issues of significance. We cannot say enough good things about Karin. She has become a good friend of our family. Definitely 5 stars!!! “
“Karin is the best realtor that I have ever utilized. Her professionalism and knowledge of her niche market helped us navigate through the difficult sale of a unique property. I feel that she represented us in an aggressive and thorough manner. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to anyone seeking a skillful and hardworking professional in real estate.”
(Seller – King and Queen County and Caroline County)
We want to thank you so much for being part of making our dream come true of owning waterfront property in beautiful Mathews County, Virginia! Your responsiveness and attentiveness to our needs during our property search was second to none – we really appreciate your kindness and professionalism!”
Mari and Scott Gibbs Belmont Farm – Blackwater Creek
Mathews, Virginia and Oklahoma City
“We searched the state of Virginia for two years using many brokers and the internet, looking for our perfect retirement home. We saw many homes in that period, but none met enough of our criterion. We met Karin from one of our internet finds and though the home we saw did not fit us perfectly she asked the right questions about why that was and asked if she might be able to call us should she come across property more in keeping with our needs; character, tall ceilings, property and water. Little did we know that “should she come across” meant she would scour the state for us for many months, showing us many promising properties and finally finding exactly what we had been looking for to make Virginia our home state. We were very fortunate to find someone as diligent as Karin, never once taking us to a property she had not previewed before and helping us with contractor resources as well as doing substantial investigations to find other local ones to help us through the critical vetting period so essential in a property of this kind. We highly recommend Karin for anyone looking for a unique Virginia property.”
Lynn and Rob Koggan (Purchasers of DeForest – Marshall, Va. ) near The Plains.
70+ acre Historic Estate with lake and equestrian potential
I have known Karin Andrews for decades through a church we belonged to in Richmond. Years ago. She moved back to Tappahannock and started a new life for herself there. Fairly recently, I had clients who had a waterfront property in the Northern Neck that they needed to sell and asked for my help. I knew I could count on Karin to take care of them. The sale was complicated (a home in need of attention) and the owner died between the time Karin got a contract and closing. She faithfully stuck with my people and got the job done and done well. When dealing with an elderly couple, you need someone that is good and that you can trust. I give an unreserved opinion endorsing Karin and her services.
G. F. Pendleton, III
Historic Waterfront and Equestrian Properties in Virginia (Facebook)
Karin J Andrews (Facebook). Follow me on LinkedIn @karinjandrews or on Instagram @karinjandrews
Additional References and Contact Information for my references Available Upon Request